redman3000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the message I received after sending the pre-written letter:

The Government of Canada has introduced Bill C-61, An Act to Amend the Copyright Act. The proposed legislation is a made-in-Canada approach that balances the needs of Canadian consumers and copyright owners, promoting culture, innovation and competition in the digital age.
What does Bill C-61 mean to Canadians?
Specifically, it includes measures that would:
• expressly allow you to record TV shows for later viewing; copy legally purchased music onto other devices, such as MP3 players or cell phones; make back-up copies of legally purchased books, newspapers, videocassettes and photographs onto devices you own; and limit the "statutory damages" a court could award for all private use copyright infringements;
• implement new rights and protections for copyright holders, tailored to the Internet, to encourage participation in the online economy, as well as stronger legal remedies to address Internet piracy;
• clarify the roles and responsibilities of Internet Service Providers related to the copyright content flowing over their network facilities; and
• provide photographers with the same rights as other creators.
What Bill C-61 does not do:
• it would not empower border agents to seize your iPod or laptop at border crossings, contrary to recent public speculation
What this Bill is not:
• it is not a mirror image of U.S. copyright laws. Our Bill is made-in-Canada with different exceptions for educators, consumers and others and brings us into line with more than 60 countries including Japan, France, Germany and Australia
Bill C-61 was introduced in the Commons on June 12, 2008 by Industry Minister Jim Prentice and Heritage Minister Josée Verner.
For more information, please visit the Copyright Reform Process website at www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/crp-prda.nsf/en/home
Thank you for sharing your views on this important matter.

The Honourable Jim Prentice, P.C., Q.C., M.P.
Minister of Industry
The Honourable Josée Verner, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women
and Official Languages and Minister for
La Francophonie

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
ccer_icon.png
URGENT MESSAGE TO CANADIANS
Our way of life is in danger!
Digg this! My fellow Canadians, a matter of the greatest importance has come to our attention. TOMORROW new laws will be passed by the Canadian government which will effectively OUTLAW the use of modchips and flash carts, among other things.

This new copyright reform in the form of the Canadian DMCA has been influenced by US lobby groups rather than the voice of the Canadian people. What we're faced with is legislation that is potentially even more extreme than that of the US DMCA which is what allows the RIAA, MPAA, etc to function in the United States as they do.

This would be a blow not only to Canada, civil rights, and copyright law, but also YOUR rights, this fine community, and all of the businesses that make their living by selling said products. Our digital way of life would effectively come to a stop. They're even going as far as proposing a minimum $500 fine per incident. While copyright reform is an important issue, this is not the way to go about it.

In response to this backdoor policy-making a growing movement and coalition has been actively pursuing making the Canadian voice heard in this legislative process. All is NOT lost; they previously attempted to impose similar legislation back in December but this very movement's response stopped them in their tracks. We MUST speak up! We MUST make ourselves heard before it's too late!

As such the Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights has created a simple pre-written letter sending service that will allow for us to be heard. I implore any and all Canadians to use this service to send a letter to Prime Minister, Stephen Harper; Jim Prentice, Minister of Industry; and Josée Verner, Minister of Canadian Heritage TODAY before we have no tomorrow.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea, it really sucks.
That's like taking away a lot of people's hobbys.
'cause the Flashcarts and modchips aren't only used for playing illegal games, they are also used for people to make their own programs, and practice their programming skills.
And in my opinion, you must not take that away from people.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whizz said:
That's easy to say, as a non-Canadian. Damn! I really hope they listen, because today it's Canada. Tomorrow the rest of the world!??
Exactly!
However, Holland is a free country, so I guess it will never happen here
smile.gif

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
wabsta said:
Whizz said:
That's easy to say, as a non-Canadian. Damn! I really hope they listen, because today it's Canada. Tomorrow the rest of the world!??
Exactly!
However, Holland is a free country, so I guess it will never happen here
smile.gif

yes, any country that does drugs must be a free country
grog.gif

cpm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
TOMORROW new laws will be passed by the Canadian government which will effectively OUTLAW the use of modchips and flash carts, among other things.
it's (possibly) being introduced, not passed. it has to go through 3 readings in the house of commons, then 3 in the senate, quite sometime before it's even becoming close law
tongue.gif

also something this controversial has little chance passing the house of commons with a minority gov't. that being said, writing a bunch of letters to your own MP, the PM and Minister of Industry can't hurt (also it's free and causes more of an impact then email).

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
0xyG3N said:
Oh my......
But they cant stop us so its pointless!

Shut up. I've been browsing a few threads today and all the posts I've seen by you are useless additions to the thread that really don't need to be there. If you don't have anything useful to say kindly press ALT + F4.

@Ace

Really sucks Canada is pulling such a harsh move, I really hope the laws don't pass.

I mean, as Whizz said, what if this makes a few other countries think about doing the same thing? I guess I was wrong to think Britain and U.S. were the only countries with a retarded government.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Every county has their own dumb problems =/
Here in germandy, they will Log everything from the 1st next year... (IP & the user, Phone calls etc), and we had some change in the copyright too, AFAIK it's now illegal just to download software (So even load something without knowing what exactly it is, it could mean to go into illegality~) so its not only canada with crappy things planned.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Ace Gunman said:
0xyG3N said:
And its not the end of the world
wink.gif
Yes it is, it's the end of out digital freedoms. All Canadian members here at at legal risk if this goes through. You try and ship in a flash cart? You're fined, or worse.

Isn't the law already like that in the USA? And aren't people able to get flash carts there?
unsure.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
For those who don't think it applies to them because you're not Canadian, think again. You do know that most of the flashcart distributors and a large majority of the members on this site are Canadian, right? If this goes through this site will take a huge HUGE hit. The businesses that make their living from this could close down. Your ability to get flashcarts (etc) could be severely hindered. Heck, even many of GBAtemp's affiliates are CANADIAN.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1