Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
dslite.jpg

The redesigned Nintendo DS has at long last been revealed, days after Nintendo Europe told us that no redesigned DS will be shown at E3 this year. That's because the release date for the DS Lite is March 2nd in Japan. Very tricky Nintendo
wink.gif

"It is light, it is bright, we have named it Lite for a reason" - Nintendo

Here is the current information available:
- Release Date: March 2nd (Japan)
- Price: 16,800 Yen (US$149, AU$199)
- Size: (Side) 133.0 × (length) 73.9 × (thickness) 21.5mm [Original DS: (side) 148.7 × (length) 84.7 × (thickness) 28. 9mm]
- Weight: 218g [Original DS: 275g]
- There are 4 stages of screen brightness (similar to the PSP)
- The power switch is now a flick switch on the side of the unit like the PSP's
- The Stylus fits into the unit side on. Not vertical like the original DS
- The DS Lite is reported to be more comfortable than the regular DS
- The screens are reported to be brighter and sharper than the PSP's screen (eg: similar to the GameBoy Micro)
-There is a GBA Slot, the slot has a cover
-There are no software enhancements (eg: no wifi pictochat. DS Lite is only a facelift)

Official Post - Expect a press release from Nintendo America soon. We'll keep you posted the moment Nintendo releases anything.
Additional Source: Vooks.net

Footnote: Happy Australia Day!

njt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here is my try at translating this thing. It's not official but I don't believe I've made any serious mistakes in the translation. If anyone knows Japanese and wants to check, by all means~ {edited, forgot some stuff....}

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????
Nintendo Corporation (Kyoto north branch: President Iwata Satoru) Will sell a new upgraded version of the portable Nintendo DS called Nintendo-DS Lite for the estimated price of 16,800 Yen and a release date of March 2nd.(tax and AC adapter included.)

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????MediaCreate?????????????????????????????????????

On December 2nd 2004 started selling the Nintendo DS all throughout Japan (estimated price was 15,000 yen) which featured dual screens, touch pad, microphone capability, as well as Wireless net (via wifi) a fully loaded unique system. So far the system has been able to draw in a bunch of women and seniors who, until this system, had never played a game. Because of that the total of units sold (from shops to customers) has reached a record breaking 5,000,000 units sold in a speedy 13months time, which is the fastest that any game system has sold, in Japan.(Researched by?MediaCreate). By the end of 2005 a total of 5,700,000 units have been sold domesticaly.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
So on this occation this firm wants to present the new Nintendo DS Lite. The Nintendo DS Lite is the Nintendo-DS with all it's functions with the body slimmer and it lighter to make it even more portable, also the screen's brightness will be changable to up to 4 different levels right out of the box. "It is light, it is bright, we have named it Lite for a reason" (took this from Opium, couldn't think of anyway better
tongue.gif
)

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Nintendo has not only created a system to appeal to anyone regardless of sex or age with fun games, but with the new superior Nintendo-DS LITE Nintendo is going to create an overwhelming growth in the portable system market.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA Slot is confirmed. I want to see the back!
I hope there's still a hole for SL1...
Looks like I'm going to have to get a Superpass 2...

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
lol come on, the gba slot HAD to be included, they already made the rumble pack and i can see more things like the jam with the band expansion pack coming.

Im just curious to where the stylus goes, it wont be able to fit in vertically like the current design, hopefully its in the hinge so it can be longer...

the repositioning of the mic, start select and i assume now a power switch is a great improvement, i just hope they didnt get rid of the headphone jack
tongue.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
i just hope they didnt get rid of the headphone jack
tongue.gif

lol wouldn't it be just like them??

anyway, if I have to crack it open to reach the SL1 I will damn it!!

what's the cheapest passme2 to get?

and how much is 16,800 yen?

See the news post, 16,800 yen is about the same as the DS originally launched for. So expect it to be the same price as the DS was on launch.

Another word of caution, don't go and buy a passme2 for this thing just yet. The passme2 might not be able to cut it. The DS Lite's firmware will most likely be slightly tweaked. Perhaps we'll need a Passme3.

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Might get it as well, once I know just how easy I can install FlashMe on it - and make another skin.

Nintendo, you sneaky little bastards
tongue.gif

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once this is released, I think I may finally buy a DS
tongue.gif

...and this, just after i bought one from bestbuy about 4 days ago (sunday).I may return it though, since several of the pixles on the lower screen are "dead".

Though, this is great information - thanks Opium!!! Any word of what size the screens will be?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
^the screens are the same size as the original DS's. It's only the unit around the screens that is smaller
smile.gif

I'd get a DS Lite if flashme works with it and I can sell my current DS. I'll be strapped for cash if i'm going to save up for a Revolution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte