Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KRIKzz Everdrive64
N64 flash cart in development
n64box300.jpg

KRIKzz, the creator of the Everdrive products for retro consoles, has announced that he is working on a new project for the Nintendo 64. Not many details are known so far, but he plans on using SD for flashram (unless it is too slow, in which case he will be using CompactFlash (CF) card memory).

Check the following link below for photos of his current development. You can see the device is plugged into an open N64 console and wired to an Altera logic development board.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I've been looking to get a N64 mythcart, but those are just too damn expensive! Hopefully this one wont be TOO pricey. If it is though, I wont really care since owning the actual game carts is much cooler than having a bunch of roms on 1 cart. If anything, I'd like to play Bangai-O on my 64.

Guzzie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank god. Hopefully this comes to market. The Neoflash cart needs some competition. $200 is waaay too much especially considering the stupid GBA flashcart business.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sergster1 said:
EPIC! I totally want this or for it to be ported to the supercard
Not for DS, and never gonna happen.

Plus, even if it did happen it'd be ass. Imagine playing the best N64 titles without half of the buttons and a D-Pad instead of a stick.

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, folks, i'm guessing a flash cart of this caliber will cost at least $130 if only that since his SNES one is that far up there. The only ones that appear to be cheap are Sega flash carts.

But I hope we see this coming out and a few others
smile.gif

The price on these is higher because low quantity fabrication of such devices limits supply and is off balanced by limited demand as well. More people play DSi than N64, so it makes sense that since there is a huge supply of DS flash cards and a equal but possibly less of a demand, that we are seeing cheap flash cards available for that system. I remember when we used to have to spend $35 for a M3 Simply. Now one of those would only fetch probably a measely $5 on the market today. Amazing how things changed and how quickly.

When they were still making N64 systems, and one must keep in mind that money had more buying power back then, Bung produced the V64 Jr (just comparing equally sized devices here because we all know about CD64 and V64 systems). The V64 Jr cost about $300 when it was available for 512M. This didn't even have flash ram in it. It had EDO SDRAM inside and used batteries or external power supply to keep the game in memory and loaded from parallel port. A $200 card is still a good deal for a diehard N64 gamer. $200 back then would not be enough money to purchase the current device of the day. And $200 of today's money would be far less able to be at 2/3rds of the buying power of the late 1990s as well. Think of it this way, gasoline was $1.65/gal for premium back then. Now it's about $4/gal.

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
Will this flashcart be region free? That is the main problem I have a uk n64 I am very interested in this device as no console out there can emulate a n64 properly at all!

It should be. Usually N64 solutions require you to plug in a cart (in your case it would be a PAL cart) and then your PAL ROMs will be using a genuine PAL CIC and hence the N64 will think a genuine PAL game was inserted and run the ROM's code.

Deesotilio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just got a boner when I heard "Everdrive" and "64"

Btw, I have an everdrive for my Genesis, and it's region free
tongue.gif

Only problem is that it doesn't work with one of the PAL models.
So, expect a "This works perfectly!!!! ...but," type of thing
tongue.gif

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It brings back a lot of enjoyment to the N64 console to have a memory stick full of games and a menu. Which is why I like and recommend the Neoflash product. The menu is pretty, plenty of options, and plenty of games can be put on the NEO2 Pro flash cart with SD. Pretty amazing device. I've been talking to several people who are happy with it.

It's always good to have competing products and we can see who comes out as the most stable and feature filled. I just wish they had these available back in MGD3 days.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
amptor said:
jalaneme said:
Will this flashcart be region free? That is the main problem I have a uk n64 I am very interested in this device as no console out there can emulate a n64 properly at all!

It should be. Usually N64 solutions require you to plug in a cart (in your case it would be a PAL cart) and then your PAL ROMs will be using a genuine PAL CIC and hence the N64 will think a genuine PAL game was inserted and run the ROM's code.

I was under the impression that the N64 doesn't "know" what region any games are -- that the region is simply determined by a physical tab that can be broken off.

Am I wrong?

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder why no one from china has made anything cheaper in the $20 range. I mean they can make cheap DS cards but not this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning