We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you with spin-down/crashing issues and windows:

1) Crack open your WD Passport! (Pry gently and evenly around all the edges and it should pop right open. It uses little plastic clips that break easily but there's enough that if you break some, it will still close nicely.)
2) Remove the SATA to USB connector from the drive and connect a SATA power and SATA data cable to your PC (If your PC is powered on, do a scan for hardware changes to get it to show in windows)
3) Install HDPARM for windows: http://hdparm-win32.dyndns.org/hdparm/hdpa...win32-setup.exe
4) Launch the HDPARM (CMD) - Programs>HDPARM>HDPARM (CMD)
5) You now need to locate your WD drive, start with 'hdparm -I hda' and check the drive info, then move on to 'hdparm -I hdb' and keep trying until you find it.

Mine was on hdc and the info looked like this at the top:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD1200BEVS-00UST0
Serial Number: WD-WXE807C12345
Firmware Revision: 01.01A01

6) We are now going to set the spin-down timer to the max of 5 hours and 30 minutes. This -should- solve all our spindown related problems! Type 'hdparm -S251 hdX' and replace X with the letter corresponding to your drive.

This is what I got:

hdc:
setting standby to 251 (5 hours + 30 minutes)

6b) If you are not using a WD Passport or if you just want to be doubly sure, also issue the 'hdparm -K 1 hdX' command. This will make your drive keep the spindown setting even after losing power. (It's case sensitive so watch your syntax!) If you get an input/output error, just ignore it, your drive doesn't need it.

7) Unplug your drive, stick it back in the enclosure, and test it!

** If you are getting crashing issues after a minute or so, be sure to delete your USB network adapter and network settings to fix it! **

MORE NOTES (April 15, 2009) -- Please make sure you update to USBLoader 1.4 or later before testing your games, I know I still had random crash problems even after stopping my HDD spindown issues and 1.4 has solved them completely!

Good luck!

pro2oman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nice and the for the guide. I'm planing on getting a my book from WD. Do you know if the my book's have the same problems and would this work to fix it.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pro2oman said:
nice and the for the guide. I'm planing on getting a my book from WD. Do you know if the my book's have the same problems and would this work to fix it.

If you can wait about 20 minutes I'll be checking my new My Book Essential, I just have to finish installing Linux and then I'll test it.

knuttan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This works for me it seems. Using a WD 1TB Essential. Had crashing in Galaxy, but after applying the fix I played it 3 hours straight with no problems whatsoever.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, either on newer WD My Book drives the timer has been set past 15 minutes, or they have no problem spinning back up. I just left my drive alone for 18 minutes and it spun back up without an issue.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tested SSBB and Cate West with a 25+ minute pause inbetween access on both and both seem to be working 100% now.

This may work for other HDD enclosures, if anyone wants to try it and let me know I would appreciate it!

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be sure to check the hardware revision!

This will work with B7B. There is a R/N: B8B with the same model number that does not allow the removal of the USB controller as it is built onto the drive.

BTW, did you try "-S 0" to disable it altogether?

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm just glad i didn't buy a WD hd.
i bought seagate go 320gb which was on sale for $69 US... and it works flawlessly.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlxowhd said:
i bought seagate go 320gb which was on sale for $69 US... and it works flawlessly.

Hmm seagate has that problem also well atleast mine did with the drive going to sleep, but you can easly fix it with this software just use this software, and go into power management and set it to never, i believe the drive has to be formatted to NSTC or fat before the program will recognize it
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

easy way to test if you have this problem, is play mario kart, play a race, right before you finish the race, pause the game for 15min, then unpause and finish the race, if it locks up after finishing the race, you have the problem

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
Be sure to check the hardware revision!

This will work with B7B. There is a R/N: B8B with the same model number that does not allow the removal of the USB controller as it is built onto the drive.

BTW, did you try "-S 0" to disable it altogether?

I recall someone else setting it to 0 in another thread but mario kart still crashed using the pause at the end of the race.

dimmujed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
dlxowhd said:

Hmm seagate has that problem also well atleast mine did with the drive going to sleep, but you can easly fix it with this software just use this software, and go into power management and set it to never, i believe the drive has to be formatted to NSTC or fat before the program will recognize it
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

easy way to test if you have this problem, is play mario kart, play a race, right before you finish the race, pause the game for 15min, then unpause and finish the race, if it locks up after finishing the race, you have the problem

What if you have x64 bit like I do? THEN WHAT! Their program only works on 32 bit and I don't have a computer with 32 bit plus my drive is already loaded with games....

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dimmujed if you can get your hdd recognized with HDPARM (by USB or by opening and plugging in directly with SATA) this should work for you too! I think since the function of it is command line based it will work in any windows based OS... maybe!
smile.gif

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well mine was loaded with games also, I extract all them off then formatted used the program, then formatted back to WBFS

as for the PC problem, well its only a one time thing, i say find a friend that has a PC, and use the program on a friends computer

dimmujed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
well mine was loaded with games also, I extract all them off then formatted used the program, then formatted back to WBFS

as for the PC problem, well its only a one time thing, i say find a friend that has a PC, and use the program on a friends computer

I would do that, but right now I had space constraints (HDD). Need more GB! I need to install that 1.5TB drive i got for Xmas I guess.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:

Using my method you don't need to reformat your disk, I hope you were referring to the Seagate program
biggrin.gif

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SonyUSA said:
WiiBlaster said:

Using my method you don't need to reformat your disk, I hope you were referring to the Seagate program
biggrin.gif

yea i was referring to the seagate, program it wouldn't recognize my HD until i formatted, atleast it didn't for me

dimmujed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SonyUSA said:
WiiBlaster said:

biggrin.gif

Do I have to open it up, or will it work via usb?

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try it and let us know dimmujed! It won't hurt it if it doesn't work. Just follow my steps and try it by USB first.

dimmujed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SonyUSA said:
Try it and let us know dimmujed! It won't hurt it if it doesn't work. Just follow my steps and try it by USB first.

I'm only finding one hard drive? I have two internal connected and 2 external...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things