Hacking Guide: NTFS/WBFS Dual Partition!

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're like me, you have an external USB HDD but don't want to lose precious data that's already on it!

Well here is your working solution (for XP users anyway):

1) Plug in your HDD (duh)
2) Get EaseUS Partition Master (Home Edition 3.5) -- It's free! Click Here
3) Start up PM and find your External HDD's drive letter and make sure you have some free space to turn into your Wii iso partition.
4) Right click on your External HDD's graphic bar at the top and choose Resize/Move
5) Reduce the Partition Size until the Unallocated Space After is the size you want it. (I wanted 20 gigs for my Wii isos so I kept lowering it until it had roughly 20,000MB unallocated)
6) Click OK on the window (it will close) then click Apply on the main PM window and let it do it's thing! (Don't worry, it will save your old data and won't erase anything!)

-- Stop --
If at this point you don't have your primary NTFS partition and a new un-formatted partition, go back to the beginning ya newb!
Also, if at any point from now on windows complains about an un-formatted drive, click Cancel or NO.

7) Close PM and open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then Computer Management.
8) Select Disk Management from the left side pane and find your USB HDD (it will have 2 graphic blocks, one NTFS and one unformatted/unpartitioned/unallocated)
9) Right click on the graphical partition that is NOT your NTFS partition and choose New Partition
10) Click NEXT, choose Primary Partition, click NEXT, click NEXT again (on size allocation)
11) You should now be on the drive letter selection screen. Choose a drive letter and REMEMBER it for the next part! Then click NEXT
12) Choose DO NOT FORMAT THIS PARTITION and click NEXT then FINISH

-- Stop --

You SHOULD now have an extra drive in My Computer. One will give you access to your NTFS partition (old data) and your NEW one (the one I told you to remember, remember?) which when you double click on it, will be NON-ACCESSABLE. If you double click on it just to test, be sure to hit NO when it asks you to format it.

13) Open a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd) and navigate to your WBFS folder. (I'm using wbfsTOOLv14)
14) Type 'wbfs_win.exe Z init' but replace Z with your new WBFS partition drive letter and press enter.
15) You're done! Now you can use your WBFS GUI to transfer games from the PC to the hdd or plug it into your Wii to start making your 100% completely legal digital backups of your discs!
smile.gif

Be sure to read all the steps carefully and take it slowly, and don't whine to me if you format the wrong drive!
wink.gif
Good luck!

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Props for the guide!
Many, many, many, were confused as to how to do this, and I'll be bookmarking for future reference.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VaatisCap said:
Does EaseUS or any other program support flash drives?

As long as your computer assigns it a drive letter, it should work just fine on your flash drive. Although honestly, the space on a flash drive is so small you may as well format the whole thing!

Posts merged

Can I get a moderator to change my topic name to NTFS instead of NTSC** I'm such a newb! XD

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
i did not have to format anything and saved ALL my files on my external ...

I SPLIT my existing partition with Partition Magic Pro by Norton
smile.gif
then after spliting it (you can choose size ect its a 5 star app rating on cnet or was anyways
tongue.gif
) and well norton makes it so its a trust worthy creator...just sayin i split 1 320 gig fat32 into 2 fat32 partitions (one keeping all my media files and roms the other for WBFS formating after the split)

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I did not give any instruction to format any disks. The steps I've provided do exactly as you are saying, splitting partitions.

Plus I'm saving everyone $70 from having to buy Partition Magic and possibly even more because im sure PRO would cost extra.

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SonyUSA or anyone, I hope you can help me. my Seagate Freeagent pro is not being recognized by USB Loader. Yes I know there is a special plug-in procedure for this drive, but it won't work either.

QUOTE said:
9) Right click on the graphical partition that is NOT your NTFS partition and choose New Partition
10) Click NEXT, choose Primary Partition, click NEXT, click NEXT again (on size allocation)
11) You should now be on the drive letter selection screen. Choose a drive letter and REMEMBER it for the next part! Then click NEXT

I did all of this, then successfully installed many of my games from my PC. However, Partition Master lists BOTH the NTFS and WBFS as primary... guess this is normal? But then this explains why the USB loader doesn't detect the drive, as it probably only sees the first partition...

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice guide. I was able to do the same thing using Vista's built in disk management tool, but it's good to have stuff like this to help people along

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
denpanosekai said:
SonyUSA or anyone, I hope you can help me. my Seagate Freeagent pro is not being recognized by USB Loader. Yes I know there is a special plug-in procedure for this drive, but it won't work either.

QUOTE said:

I did all of this, then successfully installed many of my games from my PC. However, Partition Master lists BOTH the NTFS and WBFS as primary... guess this is normal? But then this explains why the USB loader doesn't detect the drive, as it probably only sees the first partition...

Primary in this case doesn't mean "First partition on the disk". It's a choice between Primary and Logical type partition. If you think the position of the partitions is messing up your USBLoader, open PM back up and click the WBFS partition, then click and hold and drag the graphical box to the front of the disk so that it is at the beginning of the drive and click Apply. I tested this and it took 2 hours to move all my data (NTFS partition had a bunch of data on it) but it didn't seem to make any difference in USBLoader for me (though it worked before anyway).

P.S. USBLoader can see multiple partitions!
smile.gif

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
"With no data loss."

Liar. 100% complete liar.

You can't be absolutely sure that it won't lose data.
There's still a chance.

I can be absolutely sure if you follow my steps directly, 100%
wink.gif
Only an outside source will make you lose data, like a power loss or PC crash, but that would be your fault not mine.

pezza313

Trophies
XP
Country
First of all Thumbs up for a much needed guide.
Second of all i have the same thing going as denpanosekai, just wanna make sure it's still fine to have two primary partitions?
denpanosekai said:

QUOTE said:

and thirdly I'm also stuck at like step 14.5 haha... i was able to navigate to the folder, then typed in the 'wbfs_win.exe I init' and i did press enter. Now im just wondering after this comes up with:

c:\wbfs>wbfs_win.exe I init
wbfs windows port build 'delta'
! ! ! warning ALL data on drive 'I' will be lost irretrieveably ! ! !
Are you sure? (y/n):

So yeah sorry to be a newb but would like to know what i should type here, seeing as though throughout the guide you have said DO NOT FORMAT
much appreciated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s