Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
essentialgames.png
Sabre Wulf
G.R. Issue #6 (GBA)

Did you go McCraezy with V-Rally 3, our last recommended title? We hope you enjoyed it!

Welcome to the sixth issue of GBAtemp Recommends! - a weekly magazine feature in which we share our favourite Game Boy Advance titles. The games we recommend may be top titles from the GBA library, or they may be sleeper hits that missed the radar, but one thing's certain, they're all great games that are worthy of a play through!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Sabre Wulf
gt1529.png
gt1529.png

Developed by Rareware, Sabre Wulf (GBA) is a sequel of sorts to the original Sabre Wulf that was released back in 1985 on the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64. The game has a good mix of platforming and puzzle elements.

To break down the game, it basically goes like this - After being locked away in a statue, the Sabre Wulf is let loose and begins to wreak havoc. You play as Sabreman, who must put a stop to the wulf's evil doings! Sabreman, who appears to be an archaeologist come zoo keeper must make his way through the levels using an array of interesting critters who each have their own unique abilities and can help you scale the terrain. Once you find the wulf, you must swipe the stolen artifacts from him and race back to the beginning of the level, whilst being chased by the wulf, and to the safety of your ... tent. Think Wario Land, just with obstacles to over come that you can't get by with simple platforming.

Besides the main levels, the game also features an impressive isometric overworld to explore and unlock, that's full of interesting characters to converse with and additional side-quests.

Sabre Wulf is a very fun and original game and was actually received quite well by reviewers. It's also Costello's favourite GBA title so you know if must be good.

Game Synopsis said:
A mysterious stranger has shattered the fabled Sabre Wulf amulet, unleashing the savage Sabre Wulf from years of imprisonment. Once again, it's up to Sabreman, explorer and treasure hunter extraordinaire, to track and recapture his nemesis. As Sabreman, you'll enter a world rife with magical creatures that you can control. Use each creature's unique powers to survive traps, obstacles, and the dreaded Sabre Wulf. The game's combination of 2D and 3D gameplay spreads across a variety of levels.
eu.gif
#1412: Sabre Wulf (Rising Sun)
us.gif
#1529: Sabre Wulf (iND)

Genre: Platformer, Puzzle
Publisher: THQ
Dumped on: 11/03/2004
ROM Size: 64Mbit

If you enjoyed this weeks issue of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the discussion. This helps us monitor response and will help us improve future issues and to keep them coming regularly.

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at GameFAQs
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting, I never even heard of this game nor the franchise. I'm glad that you're throwing out obscure titles now.

A little glitch noticed:
QUOTE said:
1) Golden Sun (RPG, October 22nd, 2008)

2) Boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hands (Action RPG, October 29th, 2008)

3) MOTHER 3 (RPG, November 6th, 2008)

4) Go! Go! Beckham! Adventure on Soccer Island (Platformer, November 12th, 2008)

5) V-Rally 3 (Racing, November 19th, 2008)

5) Sabre Wulf (Platformer/Puzzle, November 26th, 2008)

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
To break down the game, it basically goes like this - After being locked away in a statue, the Sabre Wulf is let loose and begins to reek havoc.

Unless you mean that the Sabre Wulf's vile odors are running everyone afoul. I think the word you are looking for is wreak.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LordMelkor said:
shaunj66 said:
To break down the game, it basically goes like this - After being locked away in a statue, the Sabre Wulf is let loose and begins to reek havoc.

Unless you mean that the Sabre Wulf's vile odors are running everyone afoul. I think the word you are looking for is wreak.
I as well noticed this.

I've played Sabre Wulf before. I think Costello said it was his favorite GBA game one time, maybe it was someone else.
Didn't like it.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The character Sabrewulf in Killer Instinct is based off of the original. I mean running from the normal Sabrewulf is one thing...but I dare anyone to get away from this:
sabrewulf3.jpg

I do remember playing this, and I thought it was interesting. But I lost interest in it pretty quickly after a few levels. Guess I'm not a fan of the whole puzzle platformer thing.
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A massive disappointment this game was for me, I loved the Sabrewulf series on ZX Spectrum and this was just totally different.

Not the best game in the world but its decent.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
I was never really into GBA games.. I mean, all up I probably played 30-40, real cartritdges that is, because I didnt know about the slot 2 devices..
tongue.gif

So I kinda missed out on nearly all of the good GBA games.. I could get a slot 2 but I dont see the point..
smile.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Jeda said:
yay, this game had the best "speaking" sound effects of all GBA games
Exactly! the voice sound effects crack me up
laugh.gif

Also, it's not necessarily my favourite GBA game. It's just one of the games that I think is really underrated. I had so much fun playing it and yet most people didn't even know about the game.

Deekman

Trophies
Website
www.deaconross.com
XP
Country
Canada
Great choice I actually liked this game so much I went out and bought a boxed copy of it. (Still have it in near mint condition). Everyone should check this out it's a fun little pick up and play game where you can do a level or 2 quickly and then move onto something else.

"Gently Bently!"

Loop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this great series of recommendations!
I had no idea this game was available for GBA!
I remember it being one of my favourites on the ZXSpectrum back in the day!
Looks like they've given it a serious facelift and brought it right up to date.
I wonder if there are other titles from 'Ultimate' that have been revived...
grog.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Another awesome choice! I don't remember playing with the sound on though.

So much good stuff on the GBA, this list is gonna take months to write
biggrin.gif

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
A massive disappointment this game was for me, I loved the Sabrewulf series on ZX Spectrum and this was just totally different.

Not the best game in the world but its decent.

Huge disappointment also. This game was way too easy to be part of the Sabreman series. Back in the day, the ZX games (Knight lore, Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde etc) were massively hard, but incredibly addictive - you'd get your arse whipped every time but you knew you'd be back for more. It took me two weeks to finish this, the original took me nearly twelve years to crack. It's the little things you could find about the game, the way the enemies move, the way to stab the rhino in the rear-end to get around him on that tight corner, how to navigate a tight vertical corridor, the way the natives sing when they detect an amulet part... The game had hidden depths.

The Spectrum games were ground-breaking. Sabre Wulf with the enormous maze and lots of colourful sprites, Knightlore with the awe-inspiring Filmation 3D, Underwurlde breaking new ground in platformers... This GBA game was a major let-down, and nothing particularly new that hadn't been done before. A poor cash-in on what was one of the most fondly remembered series in computing history. Not as bad as the GBA Manic Miner remake, but pretty bad all the same.

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: